Located in St. Louis, Missouri, the Gateway Arch commemorates St. Louis’ involvement in the American Westward Expansion of the 19th century. Historic landmarks and pioneers who shaped its history are honored in this park, including Dred Scott who fought for his freedom in the Old Courthouse. Any major national park in the United States isn’t quite like Gateway Arch National Park. In St. Louis, Missouri, it is the smallest national park with a natural area of about 91 acres. What makes the Gateway Arch a National Park? Let’s have a look around the park first before we discuss it. The Gateway Arch, which was finished in 1965, is the most notable feature of the site. Dedicated to Jefferson’s influence in the growth of the United States westward. Symbolizing the American spirit of adventure, it is one of the most well-known symbols in the country.
Entrances and how to reach the Gateway Arch National Park
The Gateway Arch National Park is situated on the Mississippi River in the center of downtown St. Louis. Near the park, Interstate Routes 44, 55, 64, and 70 merges.
From all main interstates in Missouri and Illinois, see the routes below.
Exiting Interstates 55, 44, 64/40, and 70 in Missouri
- Take Exit 292 for Lumiere Place Blvd./Washington Ave./Eads Bridge from Interstate 44 East/55 North, then make a u-turn from the left lane to enter Pine Street and downtown.
- Take Exit 40 for the Last Missouri Exit on Interstate 64 East. Take Gratiot Avenue to the left, then Fourth Street to the left. To get to downtown, continue north on Fourth Street.
- Take Exit 249B for Tucker Blvd. on Interstate 70 East. To get downtown, turn left onto Market Street.
Exiting from Illinois Interstates 55, 64, &70 via Poplar Street Bridge, Martin Luther King Bridge, Eads Bridge, and Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge
- Poplar Street Bridge, Martin Luther King Bridge, Eads Bridge, and Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge are all options for exiting Illinois Interstates 55, 64, and 70.
- After crossing the Poplar Street Bridge (55 South/64 West), continue on 64/40 West and take Exit 40A for Stadium/Tucker Blvd. To get to downtown, stay straight off the exit and turn right on Walnut Street.
- To get downtown, cross the Martin Luther King Bridge and turn left under the freeway into Carr Street, then immediately left onto Broadway.
- To get downtown, cross the Eads Bridge and continue straight on Washington Avenue.
- After crossing the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge, take the left exit for North Tucker Blvd. To get to downtown, turn left on Market Street.
The Gateway Arch is readily accessible by the MetroLink Lightrail in St. Louis. Exit at 8th and Pine or Lacledes Landing and follow the directions to the Memorial from either station (a ten-minute walk). It takes 28 minutes to drive from Lambert St. Louis International Airport to Gateway Arch National Park, with departures every 15-20 minutes.
Bus Tours drop-off and parking
To better service our tourists, three bus drop-off places are offered. 1) Along Memorial Drive at the Old Cathedral Parking Lot, 2) on the north and south sides of Luther Ely Smith Square near the Gateway Arch’s west entrance, and 3) on Market Street on the south side of the Old Courthouse.
Bus, RV and Oversize Vehicle Parking
From the south of the Poplar Street Bridge to the flood wall, there is a bus, RV, and oversized vehicle parking available along Leonor K. Sullivan Drive. It’s about a 1/3 of a mile from the Gateway Arch. This parking facility, like other city-owned or commercial parking lots, is not within the park’s control.
Please keep in mind that all parking lots are a long walk from the Arch. Within one to two city blocks of the Old Courthouse, there are many public parking lots. N38°37.5201, W090°11.33214 are the GPS coordinates for the Old Courthouse.
Security Note: All visitors to the Gateway Arch must pass through an airport-style security checkpoint due to security procedures. There are no weapons authorized, including guns, knives, pepper spray, mace, or electronic weapons. If you have booked a tram ticket in advance, please arrive at least 30 minutes before your tram departure time.